Facts of St George’s life have passed through the centuries growing in legend and myth. However, he must have been some character in his lifetime for his reputation to have survived for almost 1,700 years!
There are many accounts giving what are believed to be the facts outlining the life of England’s Patron Saint. Below are the widely accepted ‘facts’ of St George’s life.
- St George was born to Christian parents in A.D. 270 (3rd Century) in Cappadocia, now Eastern Turkey
- He moved to Palestine with his Mother and became a Roman soldier, rising to the high rank of Tribunus Militum
- However, he later resigned his military post and protested against his pagan leader, the Emperor Diocletian (245-313 AD), who led Rome’s persecution of Christians
- His rebellion against the Emperor resulted in his imprisonment, but even after torture he stayed true to his faith
- The enraged Diocletian had St George…
View original post 226 more words